To configure the CRM Email Router with Exchange 2010 you need to do the following. Not all of these points are clearly documented on the internet.
- Create a mailbox (CRM_Router@domain.com)
- Set password never to expire
- Ensure that the mailbox is not hidden from the address list
- Login to above mailbox
- Enable impersonation with the following Exchange Management Shell commandNew-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name: “ApplicationImpersonation-CRM Router” -User: “CRM_Router@domain.com” –Role:”ApplicationImpersonation”
- [Optional] See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2009/12/21/how-to-configure-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-e-mail-router-on-premise-with-microsoft-exchange-server-2010.aspx for EMS commands to limit the scope of the CRM_Router user account
- Configure the CRM Email Router as per http://snackbox.microsoft.com/pages/snackdetail.aspx?itemId=152&userId=&caid=&csId=%257b4c712394-1373-4d8e-b85e-369111823def%257d%2540%257b4a9965c4-db36-4193-9e83-32347ea3b0f1%257d
- Ensure that CRM_Router@domain.com is a CRM System Administrator level account.
4 responses to “CRM Router and Exchange 2010”
Do you know perhaps whether the Exchange level impersonation permissions (via EMS) need to be assigned to the CRM_Router account / mailbox (the forwarding mailbox), or to the account / mailbox of the user configured within the CRM E-Mail router’s Incoming configuration to authenticate to the Exchange2010 EWS?
I am just asking because we did the latter after following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2009/12/21/how-to-configure-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-e-mail-router-on-premise-with-microsoft-exchange-server-2010.aspx..
I.e. In our configuration we have DOMAIN\CRMRouter as the router mailbox to which user’s forward rules forward emails to get automatically tracked, but we have DOMAIN\CRMAdmin (Domain Admin rights) for authenticating to Exchange 2010 EWS on the aforementioned Incoming Configuration… We then assigned the Impersonation Role to the DOMAIN\CRMAdmin. It all works, however we are experiencing a problem with our emails getting tracked automatically in the CRM database an hour earlier than it should be. Appears to be a daylight saving issue however we have checked and tried everything we can do outside and inside of Exchange2010 to correct it and could not, for instance:
Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -identity “Owa (Default Web Site)” -LogonAndErrorLanguage 2057
Set-MailboxRegionalConfiguration -Identity “CRMAdmin” –Language en-GB –DateFormat “dd/MM/yyyy” –TimeFormat “HH:mm” –TimeZone “GMT Standard Time”
Nothing works. Still our incoming emails get automatically tracked an hour behind what it should be.
I.e. Until I saw your article I had run out of any other ideas. Perhaps I’ll try assigning the role to our CRMRouter mailbox / account as well.
Following up on my last comment, I did just add an Impersonation role on our CRMRouter mailbox / account as well (over and above where we had it already on our CRMAdmin mailbox / account – being a Domain Admin user), and our seemingly time zone problem is still occurring.
I will raise a support incident with MSCRM. I believe this might have to do with some strange behaviour because of UTC being the default used “time format” on our Exch2010 / W2K8-R2 server and GMT being the default used “time format” on our W2K8 64-bit CRM server (where we have also installed our CRM E-Mail Router).
Exchange is always UTC. It reads the message header in UTC. Older SMTP servers could do local timezone and they would have a three letter code to indicate it, but its now typically UTC for all email.
You dont need to set impersonation rights for anything other than the account the router is running as. This allows the router to access the mail of the all the other users.
GMT and UTC are the same thing. Check your summer time settings as we are currently at BST and not GMT.
Ensure that your users are at BST as well. Check the time on all the servers that it is the same, including SQL Server. And check what happens in the message headers for emails sent from the CRM users to you and from the router service account to you – do they all report correct time in their headers (its possible a user or more than one user has set a local incorrect timezone)
Thank you very much for your response and some very useful ideas / tips.
I had previously checked locale settings and time zone settings on our CRM and our Exchange server (where for instance we do have UTC Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London selected and automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time checkbox checked), but have not checked our SQL server / SQL instance. I will go check it as well.
Checking the headers of emails is also a brilliant idea. Should have thought of that..